Whether you’re sprucing up your entire home or just focusing on basement finishing, you’ll probably have to use paint. During the planning stages of your painting project, it’s a good idea to browse the web or Pinterest for inspiration. Next, take a look at some paint swatches, which are available at paint stores. If you’re hiring a contractor, they can also show you some samples.
Once you’ve decided on a paint color, it’s time to choose the finish. There are several finishes available for every color and color variant, so it’s not as straightforward as it may sound. Your contractor can help you make sense of all the paint finishes, but to get you started, here’s a short primer.
What Is Paint Finish?
Paint finish is the level of glossiness of the paint. The paint’s content determines its finish. For high-gloss paints, for example, there is less pigment volume concentration, or PVC, and more resins. Flat paints contain a higher PVC and a lower concentration of resins.
There are latex and alkyd or oil-based finishes. Fumes from latex paints are not as unhealthy, and latex paints also generally easier to clean.
Types of Paint Finish
There are six levels of paint finish, generally speaking, but not all paint manufacturers make their paints available in all six finishes. They often have different terms for the same finish, as well.
- Flat finish – also called wall paint. This completely matte finish is great for ceilings and walls and for covering up imperfections.
- Flat enamel – This flat, durable matte finish is slightly filmy once dry. It’s good for bathroom remodeling and extra bedrooms.
- Eggshell – Slightly glossy and easy to clean, eggshell is good for family homes.
- Satin – With a smooth and velvety appearance that’s glossier than eggshell, satin is perfect for window trim, ceilings, walls, kitchens, bathrooms and children’s rooms.
- Semi-gloss – Subtle shine is great for kitchens and bathrooms. This option is often used on trim, cabinets and doors.
- Glossy – The shiny surface may look like plastic or enamel and is highly reflective. It’s usually used outdoors.
At Northside Construction Services, we’re always ready to help our clients with their home improvement projects, including painting. We also offer home repair services. Call us today at (404) 392-5858 or use our form for a free estimate. We work with homeowners in Lawrenceville, Johns Creek and Cumming, GA.